Duke defeated North Carolina in Overtime tonight 92-90 in what was hands down the best college basketball game of this season. Both teams did exactly what they can do well on the basketball court.
Duke stepped out on the floor on fire, Quinn Cook made 5 three pointers in the first half for the Blue Devils and it seemed that the guards for Coach K were about to dominate the game.
North Carolina fought hard to come back in the second half, behind Brice Johnson (18 points, 12 rebounds) and Kennedy Meeks (18 points, 7 rebounds) playing HUGE inside for the Heels keeping the game close. This game was back and forth like a Rocky Balboa/Apollo Creed 16 round fight, haymaker after haymaker was thrown but no one would go down.
Even when overtime’s final horn sounded I didn’t expect the game to end. After nerding out on Duke vs. North Carolina history and rivalry stats for 30 minutes, I compiled this list proving what we all secretly thought anyway, Duke vs North Carolina is the greatest rivalry of all time.
1. In 88 games played, the all-time score before tonight’s game was Duke 6,787 to UNC 6,787. So after tonight’s game, the Duke Blue Devils lead the overall series 6,879 to 6,877. That’s 45 years of playing basketball and 2 points TOTAL is the difference.
3. The last time NEITHER team was ranked when they played each other was 1955 and fans looked like this:
6. Let’s talk Head Coaches:
Roy Williams: All stats are for active coaches, 7 Final Four appearances (2nd most all-time), 63 NCAA tournament wins (2nd most all-time), .792 winning percentage (1st all-time) and Ten 30-win seasons (2nd all-time).
Mike Krzyzewski: All stats are for active coaches, 11 Final Four appearances (1st all-time), 82 NCAA tournament wins (1st all-time), .765 winning percentage (3rd all-time), and Thirteen 30-win seasons (1st all-time).
ALSO, let’s not leave out Dean Smith: 11 Final Four appearances, 2 NCAA championships, .776 winning percentage, and three 30-win seasons (they played less games).
7. ACC Regular Season Championships: UNC 29 (1st all-time) Duke 19 (2nd all-time) BUT, in ACC Tournament Championships: Duke 19 (1st all-time) UNC 17 (2nd all-time)
8. Duke and UNC both have classic yet AMAZINGLY great, popular gear:
9. Weird Stats and Facts:
Duke and North Carolina have only met 1 time in the post-season, the NIT in 1971 and UNC won.
The first game ever played was on January 24th, 1920. The final score was UNC 36 – Duke 25.
AP Coach of the Year Awards: Roy Williams – 2 (1st all-time), Mike Krzyzewski – 0 (WHAT!?!?). Just to put that in perspective, the following men have won more AP National Coach of the Year awards than Coach K: Matt Doherty, Cliff Ellis, Kelvin Sampson, Keno Davis and Frank Haith.
First round picks in the NBA by coach: Roy Williams – 25 players (2nd all-time), Mike Krzyzewski – 28 players (1st all-time).
First Overall # 1 Draft picks in the NBA by school: North Carolina – 2 (James Worthy ’82, Brad Daugherty ’86), Duke – 3 (Art Heyman ’63, Elton Brand ’99, Kyrie Irving ’14).
NBA Drafted Players by school: North Carolina – 105 players, Duke – 83 players.
10. And as if that’s not enough to convince you: